Friday, March 25, 2016

Lost in London

Spring Break Part Two: London, England

Alright, so Scotland was my favorite part of spring break, but it wasn’t the only place that I went. I spent the other 6 days in and around London.  About an hour outside of London is a beautiful and quiet little town called Henley-on-Thames, which is where I stayed with my cousin.  We had never actually met before and the last time she saw my parents was at their wedding 27 years ago, so it was really great of her to open her house to me! I really had a great time staying with her and I think we really hit it off, which is always great!

I went through this train station 
every time I was in London

 Anyway, I was in London two days and I stayed in Henley two days, but I managed to cram a lot of stuff into those days (days 5 and 6 were technically travel days).  I guess I’ll start with my first Saturday in the UK, which was the first day that I went into London:

Day One: Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Horse Guards Museum, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye.  I know, it was a lot.  Thankfully it was all relatively close together, but it was still a lot of walking and wandering around looking at a map which some lovely person had given me (I later discovered it was a biker’s map and didn’t actually show all the streets, but I managed). 

I started with Buckingham Palace.  I got slightly lost trying to find the palace, despite the nice and convenient signs that are placed around London pointing you towards the tourist spots.  Thanks to this slight misdirection, I just barely missed the Changing of the Guard, which was very disappointing, but whatever.  There were a ton of people around the square, which kind of surprised me, although very few of them were American.  The palace itself was kind of plain to me, but the gates and the fountain were very cool.  Unfortunately, you can only tour the palace during the summer since the queen is in residence the rest of the year, so I didn’t get to go in.  However, I did get to go to the gift shop, which was amazing.  I know, how can a gift shop be that great, but it really was! For one, it was enormous and full of candies, linens, toys, and other shiny things.  For another, it was color coded which really spoke to my inner OCD.  I spent quite a bit of time in that gift shop before finally moving on with my few purchases. 

Buckingham Palace

Victoria Memorial Fountain


THE GIFT SHOP!

Next stop was St. James Park and the Horse Guards Museum.  St. James Park runs from Buckingham Palace to the Horse Guards Parade.  It was actually a beautiful little park filled with people having picnics, kids running in the grass, and ducks quacking in the pond.  Honestly, it was really great to be in an open grassy area since those are relatively rare here in Italy.  Hearing the birds and smelling the flowers (even with the allergies) was so amazing.  I spent quite a bit of time just wandering along the paths, stopping to get a small lunch at a stand in the park.  I saw some ducks and swans, competing with the ever-present seagulls that seemed to be everywhere in the UK.  It was a nice quiet spot of my day.  I walked to the Horse Guard Parade ground, which is where the museum was.  There isn’t much to say about the museum, but I did get some pictures of a couple of the mounted guards, which was fun. 




Afterwards, I headed towards the river to see Big Ben and the London Eye.  I found Big Ben first, which was a really cool to see.  I spent quite a bit of time wandering around the area taking pictures of the clock tower, but I never actually went inside Westminster Abbey.  I didn’t actually ride the London Eye either, since it was both expensive and a very long wait.  But hey, I can still say I saw them!  I didn’t want to waste my money on something that I wasn’t excited to do.  I didn’t need to ride the London eye or tour Westminster Abbey just because I was there.  It was enough to just see them for me!



Day Two: My second day in the London area wasn’t until I got back from Scotland on the following Thursday.  I had taken an overnight bus from Edinburgh to London Victoria, which go in at 6am.  I spent a bit of time in a Starbucks near the coach station trying to decide what to do with my day.  Did I want to lug my backpack around London, try to find a place to check it, or simply go back to Henley and take an easy day?  I chose the last option and I am very glad I did.  I got back to Henley, took a shower and a nice long nap.  I hadn’t set an alarm or anything, so thankfully a call from dad woke me up or I might have slept all day!  After talking to dad for a little while, I got up and headed into the Henley town center in search of some food.  I finally found a nice little pub where I ordered some delicious mac and cheese and just sat and enjoyed myself for a little while.  I eventually walked back to the house and spent some time doing some class work since I had a test the Wednesday that I got back (horrible timing really).  After a little studying, I decided to watch some ENGLISH television that I didn’t have to watch on Netflix, which was really nice.  (I also watched Once Upon a Time on Netflix while I was there, because they had the recent episodes; terrible idea, in retrospect.)  We had chicken pot pie and a salad for dinner.  The UK actually have a place called Cook, which is a frozen food grocery store that is actually really good!  Nothing like Lean Cuisine!

Day Three:  Kings Cross and Platform 9 ¾, British Library, British Museum, Tower of London with a Yeoman Warder tour, and 221B Baker Street.  Another very busy day in London! I just couldn’t go to London and not do at least something that appealed to my nerd side.  Thankfully, Kings Cross is free and very easy to find!  The station itself is beautiful, with an intricate lattice-work looking ceiling.  It’s also surprisingly clean.  Not to mention, HARRY POTTER! Yes, I waited in line for 45 minutes to get my picture taken.  No, I definitely did not regret it.  They really have it down to a science too.  They know which poses work best and they drop the scarf at just the right moment to look like the wind is blowing it.  No fans, no wires, just a guy holding it up and then snapping it as the picture is taken!  I also paid the £15 to buy the professional photos and it was 100% worth it.  I considered buying something in the shop, but I could get any of the things I was interested in off of the internet for a fraction of the cost.  I didn’t need something just because I was at Kings Cross.

Kings Cross


It's a picture of a picture, 
so it's a little blurry

Anyway, I left the station and headed to the British Library.  It’s kind of the British version of the Library of Congress.  It’s a really beautiful, modern building, although they do scan you and look through your bags when you enter.  I kind of wandered around a little bit, but you have to have a reading card to really enter any of the rooms other than the exhibition.  The exhibition room was really cool though.  They have so many different documents in the room, all on displays that you can just walk up to.  No one yells at you for standing in front of a document for too long or for leaning over/touching the glass case (this is what they do for the US Constitution, FYI).  I got to see notes from Leonardo da Vinci’s notebooks, Shakespeare’s handwritten plays, original Beatles lyrics, very old and beautiful religious texts, and the Magna Carta.  It was an unbelievable experience, especially since they just have it all out on display for the public.  These works are so unique and so beautiful and you have to just sit and enjoy them.  The Americans definitely need to take a page from the British book when it comes to this.  It’s hard to really experience the constitution when people are staring at you and telling you to get a move on. 


Next stop, the British Museum.  I tried following the signs to get to the museum, as they hadn’t led me astray at this point, but I definitely got a little lost finding the museum.  In my defense, the signs along this walk were very far apart and you start to wonder if you maybe missed a sign and possibly a turn.  And then I came to a spot where I had to turn left or right but I hadn’t seen a sign for a little while.  I chose right, which was wrong, and had to backtrack before I finally found the museum.  The museum itself is MASSIVE.  I could have spent hours, even days going through the entire museum.  However, there were a ton of school kids there, which was not the most enjoyable experience.  I went to the Egyptian exhibit to see the mummies and the Japanese exhibit before I left.  I tried to find the Rosetta Stone, which you would think would be easy, but I never actually found it.  In retrospect, that’s probably what all the screaming kids were crowded around, but I wasn’t willing to wade into a crowd of munchkins. 


Three stops down and it wasn’t barely after 1 o’clock!  I hopped on the metro and headed to the Tower of London next.  I bought my ticket, after explaining to the nice lady that yes, my student visa does actually prove that I’m a student, despite her insistence that it did not.  Since it was now after 2pm, I decided to grab some lunch from one of the fish and chips places nearby, which was not my greatest decision on this trip.  For future references, don’t buy food from a place called Ted’s fish and chips.  It’s not worth it.  Anyway, I waited at the entrance to the Tower for the Yeoman Warder tour, which is a tour lead by one of the Royal Guards who is stationed at the Tower.  His name was Clive and he was a very entertaining guide.  He walked us through the history of the Tower, including the various people who had been executed on the nearby hill as well as the royals who had been executed within the tower grounds.  It was definitely an interesting history to learn!  After the tour, I saw: the Crown jewels, which were gorgeous; the torture chamber, which was chilling; and the royal armory, which massive and just plain cool.  I could not take pictures of any of the jewels, which was disappointing, but it was a very beautiful exhibition to see.  If you ever go to London, you definitely need to go to the Tower!

Meet Clive


The site where the royals were beheaded, 
including Anne Boleyn

One of the many coats 
of armor in the armory
After I finally left the Tower, the sun was starting to go down, but I still had a little time to kill before I hopped my train back to Henley.  I knew Madame Tussads was near the train station, but I also knew it was expensive just to see some celebrity wax figures.  However, 221B Baker Street was also just around the corner and it was free to take pictures!  And I got to appeal to my nerd side again!  I took pictures outside the door before walking through the gift shop.  There was a museum too, but I didn’t want to pay and I was perfectly happy in the gift shop! It was a great end to the day in London!  I hopped on the train back to Henley and got back just before Lisa got off work.  After she got home, we went to a local Mexican food restaurant which was delicious.  The Italians just can’t figure out how to make Mexican right, although they try very hard.  I finally got to have some tacos that were actually a little spicy, which I have definitely been missing.  The Italians don’t seem to like spicy food either…

221B Baker Street!

 Day Four: My final day in the UK, I decided not to go back into London.  I had seen pretty much everything on my list and really just needed a day to relax and recuperate a little bit.  I slept in a little, before going downstairs and having a cup of tea with Lisa.  We spent some time in her dining room just reading and enjoying the day.  It was overcast and a little chilly, but she lives right on the river so we had a great view.  I got to read a book of Scottish fairy tales that I picked up on my tour, which was very interesting to read.  There are so many connections to the Grimm fairy tales that I read for a class last semester, alongside a lot of interesting tales about the infamous fairies of Scotland.  For lunch, we went to a nearby bakery that had some delicious sandwiches that my aunt (her mother) insisted Lisa take me to, and I have to admit that it was extremely good!  During the afternoon, we went to the local movie theater and saw Allegiant, which was very good.  It was nice to see a movie in English without the subtitles, and to just sit and watch a movie.  (That’s definitely something I miss about home!)  We picked up a shepherd’s pie on the way home and spent the rest of the afternoon chilling and watching a little television.  It was really a nice way to spend my last day in the UK.  No running around, no crowds, no trains, just relaxing. 


Overall, I really loved my entire spring break.  I met some great people, including my cousin.  It was really great to have some time to myself, away from the other students.  Don’t get me wrong, the people I’m in Italy with are great, but we’ve been together pretty much every day for two months now.  I was in desperate need of some me time where I did what I wanted when I wanted.  And it was really nice to not have to worry about what other people were wanting to do or if they were having a good time or if they were still with the group.  It was a nice break from routine and I learned that travelling alone is actually a lot of fun! Who knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment